It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Off-Topic

What happened to the women that built the video game industr

What happened to the women that built the video game industr

Postby unleasher » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:37 am

What happened to the women that built the video game industry?

https://mic.com/articles/182786/women-i ... erra-games
unleasher

Re: What happened to the women that built the video game ind

Postby Caz Neerg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Starts out as an interesting article, but it goes off the rails by the end. Which prompts a deeper look at what was said earlier, revealing that it was actually a bit off the rails the whole way through.

There is no "hyper-masculine gamer culture." It doesn't exist today, and it never has existed. It's a baseless libel against "gamer culture" to keep perpetuating the myth that it is drowning in some stew of toxic masculinity.

The transition in the industry away from adventure games wasn't about embracing male fans and male developers at the expense of female fans and developers. It was about hyper-capitalism. It was the industry wide-belief that the only games worth making were the big budget ones that might sell millions of copies, small budgets with tens of thousands of copies just didn't cut it anymore.

The people who suffered as result of the change in direction weren't just female fans and developers. It was all adventure game fans and developers. The Two Guys from Andromeda, Ron Gilbert, Al Lowe; these people didn't turn around and start making shooters when the industry changed, and the male fans of adventure games didn't just shrug and say "It's all good, I can go play Call of Gears of War Duty 35!"

In pursuit of a particular narrative, the author of the piece not only rewrites the past, but also ignores the present. The title of the piece asks what happened to the women pioneers of the industry, but creates the impression that the end of their story was in the great shift away from adventure games at AAA developers, and 2017 is nothing but terrible games in a terrible culture, with no female voices in sight. It ignores completely the projects, like Hero U, that these fantastic developers (and many of their equally fantastic male counterparts from the same era) are currently creating through crowdfunding.
Caz Neerg

Postby unleasher » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:50 am

Great points in response. I agree they should have talked about what is going on today and some of the people involved in the adventure game "resurgence".

That would have kind of brought things full circle. There are definitely many projects going on now, either indie or regular companies which are definitely in the adventure game genre.

I for one am hoping Jane Jensen is working on a new Gabriel Knight game!
unleasher

Postby Caz Neerg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:01 pm

If Jensen does another Gabriel Knight, she shouldn't stop at helping with the resurgence of adventure games; she should resurrect FMV in video games. Get the same actors from Beast Within!
Caz Neerg

Postby unleasher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am

I'm not sure FMV would work. Maybe something more like Dreamfall Chapters, I think that would be more suitable, IMO.
No one really uses FMV anymore either...
unleasher

Return to Off-Topic