It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Demo Discussion

Can't Run Demos

Post comments and suggestions for the demo and alpha tests here, but no bug reports please. Those should go in the Bug Reports section.

Can't Run Demos

Postby Aaroneous » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 am

I just backed on Kickstarter and I was looking forward to trying the demos, but when I try to run them, I just get black screens. Occasionally, if I move my mouse just right, I'll get a flash of the in-game courser.

I'm using Windows 8.1. Any ideas about what my problem is?
Aaroneous

Re: Can't Run Demos

Postby Aaroneous » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 am

Actually, clicking around in the black field I was able to start the demo, but things didn't look the way they did on the "Let's Play Video. The characters and backgrounds were there, but the menus, text and other parts were entirely missing.

The problem is that the demo doesn't display all it's parts when my screen is set to 3200x1800. Not even when I messed with the resolution options in the pre-loading game menu.

But when I reduced my res to a low (by contemporary new computer standards) 1600x900, the black screen turned into the proper image.

Seems like a big problem. Hope the final version isn't like this!
Aaroneous

Postby Caz Neerg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:38 am

I'm just guessing here, but it's probably the case that for these early demos they haven't tested them on the most unpopular version of Windows in recent memory, or on resolutions so high 95% of the gaming public doesn't have machines/monitors that can drive them. Seems like stuff more likely to happen in the polish phase before pushing the game out the door. Crap, part of me would be surprised if any member of the development team even has a monitor that will do more than 1080p.
Caz Neerg

Postby Corey » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Wait, there's a resolution above 1080p? :lol:

You're correct. Lori and I use Windows 7. I believe the rest of the team is either on Windows 7 or Macintosh. I've tried using Windows 8 - I have an ASUS Transformer - and it drives me crazy. I consider it all but unusable.

Kick in another couple hundred K to the Kickstarter and we'll be able to afford new machines (mine is 2009 era, although I've replaced everything except the case, mother board, and CPU since then).

Otherwise, I expect it's a Unity issue and we may eventually have to upgrade to Unity 5 (that's another $10K out of the paper-thin budget) to deal with it.
Corey

Postby Ambaryerno » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:36 am

Corey wrote:I've tried using Windows 8 - I have an ASUS Transformer - and it drives me crazy. I consider it all but unusable.

Install Classic Shell.
Ambaryerno

Postby Corey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am

Likely the issue is with Unity on ultra-high resolution displays. We're using an older version of Unity for stability and to avoid spending several thousand dollars upgrading our licenses. (It was new when we started using it, always an issue with a multi-year project.)
Corey

Postby unleasher » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Agreed. Once you do this, and get used to the system after a while, you may find, like I did that you like Win 8.1 better than 7. The task manager is much better and being able to pause/resume file copying is nice. Plus it is faster than 7 too.

Actually it doesn't matter that much now because you can just upgrade it to Windows 10 at the end of the month which has been better than 8 in my testing experience!

Ambaryerno wrote:
Corey wrote:I've tried using Windows 8 - I have an ASUS Transformer - and it drives me crazy. I consider it all but unusable.

Install Classic Shell.
unleasher

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:44 pm

unleasher wrote:Actually it doesn't matter that much now because you can just upgrade it to Windows 10 at the end of the month which has been better than 8 in my testing experience!

I'm in a quandary about that. As a developer, I need to make sure our games play well on Windows 7, 8, and 10, plus OS X and various flavors of Linux. If I upgrade all our systems to 10, we'll have testing issues.
Corey

Postby unleasher » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 am

Hmm, good point. I guess it depends on how many you have access to. Maybe you can only upgrade one machine to 10?
How about VMs? Could you run a couple of those or would they not be fast enough compared to a native machine?

I supposed you could pick up a semi cheap used machine to do some testing on too when the time comes.

Theoretically 7, 8 and 10 are relatively compatible with each other so hopefully you won't run into very many OS specific bugs.

Corey wrote:
unleasher wrote:Actually it doesn't matter that much now because you can just upgrade it to Windows 10 at the end of the month which has been better than 8 in my testing experience!

I'm in a quandary about that. As a developer, I need to make sure our games play well on Windows 7, 8, and 10, plus OS X and various flavors of Linux. If I upgrade all our systems to 10, we'll have testing issues.
unleasher

Return to Demo Discussion