It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:37 pm
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Quest for Glory

The Best Sierra Game

Re: The Best Sierra Game

Postby Zachski » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Actually, "blasphemy" is a word used to describe speech that contradicts "sacred canon", but nice try. I initially believed you didn't mean it seriously, but your behavior continues to convince me that you meant it with 100% seriousness.

Either way, I cannot agree with someone who would spit in the face of people who worked very hard and put their sweat, blood, and love into a project over something so arbitrary and meaningless. Again, "they changed it" is not a valid critique.

I'm not saying you have to like the game by any stretch of the imagination, but if you call yourself a Quest for Glory fan, you do have to respect it and the hard work that was put into it. To do otherwise is a needless insult.

Also, a bit ironic that you would use the "Street Fighter" thing as a comparison because that's exactly what your favorite battle system in the series is based off of. I think a more apt theoretical would be making it so that the insult system was more arcade-ish in nature, but still the insult system.
Zachski

Postby Caz Neerg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Zachski wrote:Actually, "blasphemy" is a word used to describe speech that contradicts "sacred canon", but nice try. I initially believed you didn't mean it seriously, but your behavior continues to convince me that you meant it with 100% seriousness.

Either way, I cannot agree with someone who would spit in the face of people who worked very hard and put their sweat, blood, and love into a project over something so arbitrary and meaningless. Again, "they changed it" is not a valid critique.

I'm not saying you have to like the game by any stretch of the imagination, but if you call yourself a Quest for Glory fan, you do have to respect it and the hard work that was put into it. To do otherwise is a needless insult.

Also, a bit ironic that you would use the "Street Fighter" thing as a comparison because that's exactly what your favorite battle system in the series is based off of. I think a more apt theoretical would be making it so that the insult system was more arcade-ish in nature, but still the insult system.

Describing a change as unnecessary, and offering the opinion that it's worse than what it replaced, is the equivalent of spitting in someone's face? Don't you think that's a bit dramatic?

Any time someone is working from source material, whether the source material is an earlier version of a game, a comic book, a novel, any source material; "they changed it" is among the most valid criticisms you can have, when there was no compelling reason for the change to happen.

Sometimes in adaptations there are things that need to change, as is quite common in transitions from page to screen, but other times the only apparent reason for a change is because the people doing the work decide their ideas are better than the ideas of the original creators. If you want to use your own ideas, don't do adaptations, do original work.

And I never said I don't like the remake. I said I think it has the worst combat in the series. I think anybody who is playing QfG games for the combat is kind of missing the point though.

As to "sacred canon" how is that any different than "a deeply held belief which has no rational basis of any kind?" Calling something blasphemy is just another way of indicating that you strongly, strongly disagree with an opinion. It's one thing to vehemently disagree with an opinion, but being insulted by one is just silly. But I've found that people who look for things to be offended by inevitably manage to find them.
Caz Neerg

Postby Bashar » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:18 am

Dictonary.com defines blasphemy as "impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things." Since I'm certain that the Coles neither regard nor would want their work regarded as "sacred", I don't see the term as applicable here.

For the sake of forum harmony let's set aside semantics and keep focus on discussion of the games.
Bashar

Postby Nodens » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 am

I will admit that QfG2 had the best/my favourite (choose as it applies to your own opinion) combat in the entire series. The closest that I will get to the above conversation is that I couldn't play the remake because of the combat changes . . .

That being said my favourite entry in the series as a whole would be hands down Shadows of Darkness. The themes, story telling and more importantly the atmosphere of the game is, in my opinion, masterful.

This is especially true when looking at the characters, i.e. Katrina, especially if you read the blog posts from Lori a while back expanding Katrina's backstory. QfG4 is pretty much the bar I hold -any- game that say they prioritize story telling against.

The combat of 4 though . . . horribly, terribly bad would be the 'polite', though very incomplete, way of stating my feelings . . . .
Nodens

Postby Caz Neerg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm

That's completely fair, the combat in IV was pretty bad. Fun to watch on auto, but to actually play? Ick. I pretty much agree with your whole post, lol.
Caz Neerg

Previous

Return to Quest for Glory