It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Quest for Glory

A question to the Coles about Soulforge's flame

A question to the Coles about Soulforge's flame

Postby Zachski » Tue May 23, 2017 12:10 pm

In Quest for Glory 2, the flame was red, but in Quest for Glory 3 onwards, the sword's flame was changed to blue.

Now, I actually appreciate the change a lot - blue is my favorite color and I feel it gave the flame a more sacred feel to it rather than "oh, this is a sword that's enchanted to always be on fire."

But I'm wondering, what was it that made you decide, between Trial by Fire and Wages of War, to change the color of the flame? Was it always intended to be blue but you just couldn't manage it, for whatever reason, in the EGA version?

Also, when you wrote So You Want To Be a Hero, did you always intend for the Hero to be able to become a paladin at the end of 2, or was that a decision that came during the course of making Trial by Fire?
Zachski

Re: A question to the Coles about Soulforge's flame

Postby unleasher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 am

Great questions, I'm interested in finding out too! Forgot about the color change.
unleasher

Postby Ambaryerno » Sat May 27, 2017 6:56 am

I'm going to guess the color palette limitations played a big part in it, given 16 colors doesn't leave you with many options. Soulforge's flame appears to use the same colors as the hero's skin and hair.
Ambaryerno

Postby Zachski » Sat May 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Ambaryerno wrote:I'm going to guess the color palette limitations played a big part in it, given 16 colors doesn't leave you with many options. Soulforge's flame appears to use the same colors as the hero's skin and hair.

It could've used the colors on his vest, though, if that was the case.

And it flames the exact same color for Rakeesh, who doesn't really have any yellow on him.
Zachski

Postby Ambaryerno » Sun May 28, 2017 7:14 am

Zachski wrote:
Ambaryerno wrote:I'm going to guess the color palette limitations played a big part in it, given 16 colors doesn't leave you with many options. Soulforge's flame appears to use the same colors as the hero's skin and hair.

It could've used the colors on his vest, though, if that was the case.

And it flames the exact same color for Rakeesh, who doesn't really have any yellow on him.

Remember, when dealing with color before RGB color palettes became a thing in games, the 16 vs. 256 color did NOT mean how many colors an individual sprite has. It's talking about ALL colors that are on-screen at any given moment (this is why getting the Blue and Red Rings in the original Legend of Zelda affected more than just Link's appearance. IE Zelda's dress uses the same color as Link's tunic, so will be either green, blue, or red depending on whether or not you get the Blue or Red rings. Also, you only actually had 15 and 255 colors to work with; one color had to be reserved for the transparency mask).

Rakeesh not having yellow on him is irrelevant. Those two colors are ALWAYS going to be in the palette because the Hero is always on-screen, thus they become a good choice for Soulforge's flame. Looking at the colors of the Hero's vest, the blue doesn't appear bright enough to work for the purpose.
Ambaryerno

Return to Quest for Glory