It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 am
Change font size
Hero-U Forum

Quest for Glory

New QFG possible?

New QFG possible?

Postby Chris724 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Since Sierra have just wrapped up their amazing King's Quest reboot, what are the odds that Quest for Glory will be next on their list? I know they're interested in the idea, judging by how many times they've liked comments on Facebook telling them to make a new QFG, but is it within the realm of possibility? Personally, I would absolutely love this idea, but ONLY with the Cole's blessing or involvement. It just wouldn't be right otherwise.
Chris724

Re: New QFG possible?

Postby Ambaryerno » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Chris724 wrote:Since Sierra have just wrapped up their amazing King's Quest reboot, what are the odds that Quest for Glory will be next on their list? I know they're interested in the idea, judging by how many times they've liked comments on Facebook telling them to make a new QFG, but is it within the realm of possibility? Personally, I would absolutely love this idea, but ONLY with the Cole's blessing or involvement. It just wouldn't be right otherwise.

I'd want to see a continuation, myself. I've had character saves from Dragon Fire sitting around since 1998 I want to put to use. :mrgreen:

Actually, I need to finish my "Paladin Saves Katrina and gets rejected" run.
Ambaryerno

Postby Corey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I talked with a developer from Brazil who would like to produce new Quest for Glory games. His lawyer contacted Activision, but was told that they have no interest in licensing the series.

That doesn't answer whether Activision will decide to make a deal with a company such as The Odd Gentlemen to continue the series. But as far as I know, there are no current plans or thoughts about doing that.

When another group contacted Sierra about two years ago, they said they were waiting to see whether the new King's Quest series was successful. I haven't read any numbers on whether it was successful or not.
Corey

Postby azazel420 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 pm

I just recently played chapter 1 of the kings quest reboot for Xbox one and I plan on getting the season pass. If they did a reboot of qfg and modernized and streamlined it as a five chapter deal I would be so happy.
azazel420

Postby dagelf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 am

Oh crikey... not another vampiric subscription service... O_o ...This is me rooting for the good old days!
dagelf

Postby Johnny Danger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:01 am

Corey wrote:I talked with a developer from Brazil who would like to produce new Quest for Glory games. His lawyer contacted Activision, but was told that they have no interest in licensing the series.

That doesn't answer whether Activision will decide to make a deal with a company such as The Odd Gentlemen to continue the series. But as far as I know, there are no current plans or thoughts about doing that.

When another group contacted Sierra about two years ago, they said they were waiting to see whether the new King's Quest series was successful. I haven't read any numbers on whether it was successful or not.

Obviously I'm woefully ignorant to the process, but why would they NOT want to license the series? Seems like it'd be a win/win for Activision: They get the money to use the IP, and then if the game does well....more money?

I'm sure I am ridiculously oversimplifying it....I just want another installment of my favorite series of all time, darn it.
Johnny Danger

Postby Bashar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:06 pm

When it comes to franchises, companies often prefer to sit on intellectual property and wait for the ideal moment to capitalize on it. That's why you tend to see fads in the popular arts.

Even if you have a developer interested in working with the IP, the scope might not be large enough for what the publisher has in mind or they might be afraid that a mediocre product could damage the franchise as a whole. They might also be concerned that a new game could compete with one of their existing products.

So they wait until conditions are right to get the best value. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is waiting to see how successful Hero-U is before deciding to do anything with the QfG name.
Bashar

Postby Zachski » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:38 pm

I just hope that a QFG remake maintains the RPG/Adventure Game hybrid style.

I wouldn't mind it being episodic, actually, with each episode representing each of the five games, and maybe an additional sixth episode.
Zachski

Return to Quest for Glory